Interested in a 2017 Exploring Computer Science Workshop?
Sign up here to receive information about ECS workshops for 2017.
Getting Exploring Computer Science Into Your School
So far the Utah State Office of Education has offered 6 summer workshops and 3 October workshops. We have trained approximately 150 teachers. Click here
to see if your school already offers the course.
If you would like Exploring Computer Science (ECS) to be taught at your school, please read through the steps provided on this page. If you have questions, an FAQ
is provided here.
Click here for the Exploring CS presentation at UACTE 2014.
Utah teachers interested in teaching Exploring Computer Science (ECS) will need to complete the ECS endorsement by meeting these requirements
The Code.org professional development model has four different phases:
- Phase 1: Online Introduction
- Add Exploring Computer Science (CIP code 11.0701) to your schedule You must be committed to teaching at least one Exploring Computer Science course in order to participate in this professional development. Larger schools may require more sections.
- Here is an example catalog description (notice there are no pre-requisites for this course):
EXPLORE COMPUTER SCIENCE (9-12)
Credit for Graduation: .50 CTE or Fulfills the Digital Literacy (Computer Technology) Graduation Requirement.
Introduces students to the expanding field of computer science through an exploration of engaging and accessible topics. Rather than focusing on learning particular software tools or programming languages, the course will focus the conceptual ideas of computing and help students understand why certain tools or languages might be utilized to solve particular problems.
- Recruit students using ECS flyers.
- Phase 2: Blended Summer Study in June 2016
- Pass all three sections of the Certiport IC3 digital literacy exam. Click here for more information.
- Phase 3: Blended Academic Year Development
- Phase 4: Summer 2017 Wrap-Up
For more details on these phases see the Professional Development Overview